2009 SWIZ t-shirt designs






I have been working on a custom t-shirt method this year but have been incredibly negligent about taking photos of finished shirts. So I've taken some shots of the original designs with my new camera.
The method involves using a light box and dye/paint pens. I primarily use Fibracolor brand pens that come in sets of 8 colours. As you can see I use tonal dropout images in one colour to keep things simple while keeping the shape and detail in an image. I drape the t-shirt over a clear perspex screen with a flourescent bulb directly underneath. The die is applied directly to the fabric and is fixed by using a hairdryer then ironing the image before washing. Most light boxes use white perspex to diffuse light behind your work but in this situation the back layer of the t-shirt acts as diffuser. It is important not to stretch the t-shirt as it distorts the image.
Unlike screen printing which applies dye/paint to the top surface of the t-shirt fabric. This method dyes the fabric itself with a paint/dye meaning the image can be ironed. And also unlike screen printing it's not quick and easy to print a shirt. This is a time consuming process that in the end it delivers a unique design without the expense associated with preparing screens etc.

Comments

  1. I have an idea for a t-shirt design.
    maybe we could collaborate together on it?

    The idea is a play on the classic and "Just Do It" slogan by Nike. I personally hate how powerful this message permeates our individualistic, impulsive, narcissistic society.

    So, instead of the swoosh, you'd have a swirl or smoke, coming from a joint.
    And, instead of "Just do it", you'd have "What exactly was it you wanted me to do?"

    There's the thought, if you want to mastermind the swirl of smoke, text font, etc...

    cornie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a Michael G Swifte Original!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My first Turbo recover.

Kashimax Sports red vinyl recover for Tony