Swiz Experimental saddles now available at Gear Brisbane













Erik from Gear Brisbane sold the first of my upcycled saddles a few days ago and I'm stoked! I had been preparing for the worst and bracing myself for disappointment. I have been slack about getting something on the blog and hadn't even checked the CD of photos my photographer friend Darran Childs-Brown had taken for me at The Crosstown Eating House recently.
The saddle (I call it Blue Boy) has recycled padding reinforced with heat extreme temperature resistant and uneven surface conforming tape from venture tape. I've used a rare unprinted tennis racket cover in bright blue (maybe you can tell me which specific hue?). Above you can see the different phases of the upcyling process. I haven't taken detailed photos of the of the upholstery stage as my technique is rather messy at the moment (something for the future I think).
Poor planning has meant that the saddle has some rough edges like the cheese cloth layer showing through underneath, and there's some slight pinching on the nose, but I'm happy with the chunky old/new school styling, a little reminiscent of the Turbo (even if I say so myself).
I've asked Erik to get some feedback when possible, and as indicated in the name Swiz Experimental that they are just that experimental. The advice often given to cyclists about saddle selection is "Try a few out". I know that is not practical. So I'm offering a full refund of the retail price or a replacement saddle to anyone who isn't happy with their purchase.
The price of the saddles are very reasonable. When I told Erik what I wanted for them he told me I should charge more. I told him that at that price I don't want to hear anything about erectile dysfunction. I've made every attempt to shape the saddle to minimise perennial strain. In my opinion (and experience) most perennial strain comes from inappropriate saddle setting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2009 SWIZ t-shirt designs

My first Turbo recover.

Kashimax Sports red vinyl recover for Tony